State #7: New York
State #7 New York: Empire State Marathon Half, and Relay, Syracuse, New York
October 18, 2015
Total 949 Finishers Placed 21 out of 89 for Women 40-44. 158 out of 609 women overall. 351 out of 949 overall
Finishing Time: 2:03:45
- Since I was so close, I drove to Niagara Falls, New York…had to see this beautiful famous place; Buffalo: to see Ralph Wilson Stadium, Home of the Buffalo Bills. My Cincinnati Bengals played them on Sunday.
- This places was cold. Hell of a cold place. I don’t think I have ever been this cold on a race before. Despite my layers and protective cold gear, my fingers and toes were numb until mile 6. Since I couldn’t feel, I had no idea how fast or slow I was going. I felt nothing. So I couldn’t read or gauge my body.
- We ran along Onondaga Lake and with the holidays approaching, the park was decorated with festive holiday themed lights and other decorations.
- I did curse a bit because of the cold.
- I saw 7 other black women. Yup, I could count them on two hands. I was too cold to talk with them.
- Bacon!!! I had never seen bacon passed out before and during a race. Bacon! There was Bacon and doughnuts on the route. When we finished there was pizza and chicken wings. LOL
- Did I mention how freaking as cold it was. We had a 7:30 am start, which I love early starts, but in weather like this, a later start is something I would appreciate.
- Today is my Mom’s birthday. This is one of the reason’s I picked this race. I wanted to run on her special day and celebrate.Today my Mom would have celebrated her 69th birthday. To honor my BFF and ultimate "ride or die" buddy, I'm running in State #7. To celebrate her spirit I'm going to keep on persevering, keep loving, keep positive friends around me, keep helping those whose voices aren't heard, keep having faith, keep trying to enjoy life and all it has to often, and keep drinking champagne.
- Wishing I had a number two with me. I brought Champagne but I couldn’t drink it because I had a five hour drive and my body was cold and tired from running in this weather.