State #1 Massachusetts
State #1 Massachusetts: The great Hyannis RoadRace: 35th Johnny Kelley Half Marathon.
May 24, 2015.
600 people; Placed 269 overall. 24/75 41-44 Female Division Time: 2:00:06; Pace 9:10
- This was my first half on this journey. Even though I live in Massachusetts I had never been to Hyannis or really spent time on “ the cape”. This was a great first venture out.
- From Falmouth ( where my friend was staying) to Hyannis it took me a good two hours. Of course I got lost. But I made it.
- Phone was dying. I used it as my gps and I needed to charge it. I found a nice McDonalds and hung out….the beauty of arriving early.
- For as much wealth as this area is supposed to have there were homeless and people with special needs that I saw at McDonalds at 6 in the morning.
- So glad this race started at 8:15am.
- I loved that we ran along the coast. It was gorgeous and I saw some amazing homes.
- Yet miles 8-10 we had to have hills and inclines. And that of course is when the sun started to come out.
- I started playing a tag game. I would tag someone, in my head and surpass them... at least make it a goal to try.. Once I did that, I would tag someone else. Clearly this worked well because I finished in 2 hours. My first half I finished in 2:10:52. Not bad for someone who has just finished a marathon.
- I was a bit sad when I didn’t see my friends at the finish line. They came long after I was finished and it was disappointing. I wanted to have some support. I was so overwhelmed by the support I got from the marathon I thought I would get the same. To be fair after the race, we hung out, drank, ate, and had fun