State #16: Minnesota
STATE #16: Minnesota: Lola’s Lake Waconia half marathon: Waconia, Minnesota.
June 4, 2016
Total runners: 1154
Finished Time: 2:00:37. Overall Placed 428/1154: Gender Placed 160/628. Females 40-44 19/69
Bit of drama. I was going to sign up for the Minneapolis half marathon. I found out that it was cancelled because the organizers did not have a permit. In my panic to find a race in Minnesota, I sent one of my favorite friends several options of places that could be near her. She said this one, Lake Waconia was close. Since I was staying with her and she was driving me around, it had to be some place doable. Off I went. Plus, I was able to see my friend that I hadn’t seen in almost 6 years. It was fitting since the Purple One had recently passed and I was going to his home state.
- First race that all half folks didn't know where to start. We all went one way and then found out we had to go to another end 5 minutes before the start. If I had missed it.....
- My Dad thought I could finish in 1:55:00. I thought I try and follow a pacer. Not a good idea. I ran with a pack for 5 miles. I was annoyed being in a pack and pissed that people kept talking the whole time. I'm not trying to be social or chatty at that moment.
- Beautifully Painful course. I can't reminder the last race that I cursed so much. It was "flat hilly", hot, and we went from running on pavement road, running on grass to a dirt road all around the lake.
- I ate a bug
- Had some leaking...stuff happens...that was a first and running is not always pretty. :).
- Around mile 9 some guy said to me "You're strong, you're really a strong runner" . I replied we are all strong. In my head my I was saying "wtf does that mean? Why was he talking to me? Oh and now there is another F' in hill we have to go up. I'll show him what F 'in strong is. And guess who just passed you up the hill"
- Around mile 10 some chick was hitting on the 2:10 pacer. (side note pacers carry a sign while running for the whole race) I was pissed and annoyed that I had to hear the conversation after running up mile 9 hill. She asked him his name and how long he's been running, and how he's so inspiring..etc... I wanted to slap her. But I found some energy so I could pass her.
- Mile 11 I wanted this to end. When you think you're finished...you're not. I told myself not to stop. Keep running. A runner passed me and she said "come on girl you got this we're almost there" as she ran passed me. Seriously that was all I needed. I was going to catch up to her. And I did. We ran together. She kept talking to me and pushed me to the end. I thanked her when we finished for that motivation.
- So great to see my friend Maureen Clark at mile 13 cheering me on as I said " F' this" and kept running.
- Met several people who told me that this is one of the hardest half courses in Minnesota. One woman did the half last year and said that why she did the 5k this year instead.
- I met John (see pic) that runs half and marathons. His two daughters were running as well. He started in his 50s after his wife passed.
- Overall this was a beautiful place and a hard ass race. I can be a cursing mean runner. LMAO. It's in the books. Job got done in 2:00:05.12. First race that I had a dog “The Pepper” greet me at the finish line albeit while sleeping and to have one of my favorite people with me.
- Third Race that started on a Saturday.