State #15: Delaware
State # 15: Delaware: Delaware Marathon and Running Festival. Wilmington, Delaware
May 8, 2016
Finished Time:1:58:27. Overall Total Participates: 1,397. Half Placed 293/891
- Finally, a state that I have never been to: Delaware. I’m from Ohio, who goes to Delaware? If you're not from Philadelphia, New Jersey, Maryland, or Virginia. First new state and a whole adventure of first and newness.
- Wilmington is very interesting. Not sure if it's a Southern or Mid-Atlantic state. Houses reminded me of Philly and Baltimore. Yet there is a strong Quaker and African American presence. I looked at the city of Wilmington demographics and it has a population around 70,000 people and a black/African American population of over 40,000 (2010 census). I felt like it was chocolate city.
- First city I've been in and there is free meter parking on Saturday.
- Downtown was a ghost town. I guess everyone lives in Philly
- We ran along the Riverfront, through downtown, little Italy (who knew), and Brandywine Creek Park and Zoo.
- Loved the park. First time in several states I cursed a bit. Uphill inclines were no joke. Then we ran up an incline on mile 12...more cursing for me.
- Loved meeting more of my black girl run sistas and black men run. Amazing community. One of my BGR sisters told me about black women run 50. There are a bunch of us, running 50 states…yes please.
- Runners are creative. One man was juggling footballs while running with his Tom Brady mask, Patriots shirt and a sign that said Deflated? . Lol. Another guy wore a pig tutu, had a wand, and a pink top...ok; there was a pregnant woman running.....and she smoked my ass Lol.
- Loved seeing Virginia Tech car stickers and fellow Hokies.
- Tax free state. I'm going to have to get a bottle of Champagne before hitting the road. This is when I need a co-pilot. This might be the last state I drive to. :(. Planes, trains, buses from now on.
- Second race I wore a flower and this time I kept my earrings on fancy right :-)
- Over all this was a good Mother's Day race....perfect temperature, sunshine, great energy and people, and a quick champagne shot.
- My first new state was the union’s first state. I’ll take it.